Monday, October 20, 2008

Hyena Sighting!

Clearly this is out of chronological order! A hyena sighting in Temple, Texas would be really exciting! However, I was reminded of the hyena last night driving on a road in Temple where we used to see coyotes. So just a few nights before we left Malawi we were driving home from Bible Study about 10 at night and did see a hyena!! It was a pretty big one and right on the side of the road. This is not totally unusual as people do see them every once and a while and John had seen one once before but it was still pretty cool! As with everywhere the city is getting built up so the areas of "wild" are getting less and less - not sure if that means more hyenas will be seen as they have less natural habitat to stay in or what. Anyway, it was pretty interesting and I must admit I had never been so thankful for the 6 foot walls around our compound! I realize hyenas are like most wild animlas - they would just assume leave you alone but I read a short story about a rabid hyena and that was enough to make me paranoid! John, of course, (and rightly) thinks I am silly for this paranoia!!

No comments: