Thursday, June 26, 2008

Change of Plans

As I read over my last post(and several fun comments - thanks!)I was struck by how much has changed in our life since I wrote just a few weeks ago. At that point we planned to stay in Malawi through July of 2009 with 2-3 month break to come to the States to have the baby. We were happy with the decision and all the logisitcs were coming together to have the baby etc. And then John got a call from the Infectious Disease Department at Scott and White that they were looking for another physcian starting as soon as possible. The sad part is that the available job was due to one of his mentors becoming seriously ill, the good part was that it ended up being a really good opportunity... So after prayer and discussion we are moving back to Temple!! Not at all the timing we anticipated but we are very excited. We are currently waiting to hear back from the travel agent but the plan is that we will all leave Malawi together on August 2nd. karis and i will go to Dallas and John will go on the International AIDS Conference in Mexico City. After that he will attend a wedding in Missouri and then head back to Malawi until Aug 22nd. He then plans to start work at Scott and White on Sept 2! He has things to finish up in malawi till the end fo Aug but has to start work in time for the insurance to kick in for the baby the middle of October so no holidays for him!!
In the meantime, i will try to be more diligent in updates our last few weeks in Malawi as I feel like the only reason my posts might be remotely interesting is because of where we live... whether or not the stores in Temple are stocking sour cream is hardly worth mentioning:) And speaking of Malawi... the water board was going around on a loudspeaker earlier this evening announcing that people needed to pay their bills or they were going to disconnect us tomorrow! I guess that means I should go to the water board and attempt to decipher my bill and see who owes who...rest assured there will be more to this story!
And currently, vehicles with loud sirens have passed our house 3 times in the last 5 minutes. Interesting since in my 2 years here I have never seen a siren like this!! I am sure the guards will give us an update tomorrow! (i could go out for the scoop now but the door is already locked)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, man! I could have seen John in Mexico City if I had registered for that conference? That would have almost been worth the $900 registration fee, but my friends here changed their mind, so I burned my money on a different conference. Augh! :)

Kelly said...

Well, very selfishly I'm going to say YAY! that you guys are returning to Temple!