Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Someone Important Must Live on Our Road

1/12 We have decided that someone important must have moved onto our road somewhere because what was already a rather nice tarred, 2 lane road well able to handle the flow of traffic has been transformed into the nicest dirt road I have ever seen!! First, huge piles of dirt appeard every 20 feet or so and then they have spent over a week spreading and packing this dirt (and apparently pulling up the tar underneath) I suspect they will start tarring anyday which could get rather interesting since we only have one way off our compound and it is straight onto this road! We could not have left if we wanted to on Saturday afternoon and I suspect it will be unpassable again at some point in the near future. When we arrived a year and a half ago it was totally "bush" across the street with no development but in that time a school and several houses have been built and we can tell it is going to be developed more and more so it is reasonable to work on the road. THen this morning a friend said she heard this road was being widened to make it sort of a bypass around Lilongwe!! Aghh! since this would ahve a huge impact on the traffic I can only hope it is a false rumor... and praise the Lord we only rent this house and will be long gone before they actually finish such a bypass! (this road deadends about 2-3 miles from our house. to actually connect it as a bypass to the cities in the south they will have to build several miles of totally new road)
12/17 -I didn't post this the other day because I wanted to load a picture and the internet was too slow. Today I am getting an odd error message so I will just post minus the picture. The development on the road in the past week? Well, they spent 4 days grading and packign and smoothing till it was the best dirt road I have ever seen and then they dug it all up and started over because there was "a failure" somewhere. I think that means they made a mistake. One of Thomas's responsibilities for the week is to keep an eye on the progress and to let me know before they start tarring in front of our house so I can get the car off the compound instead of getting totally blocked on!

No comments: