Saturday, November 3, 2007

Home Safely

Well, we are safely back home in Malawi and getting back into the swing of things! We thoroughly enjoyed our time in the States and had a great time with family and friends but are also glad to be back! Our trip back was pretty much uneventful and smooth. We had much better service on the flight and had an extra seat so Karis had some space to sit! We were also very pleased to discover that Delta had just changed their planes and we had individual t.v. screens!! Huge blessing! Of course, karis was not interested in any of the shows so wore out the battery on my laptop and her portable DVD player but that is what we brought it for! John and I watched several hours of tv each and it was great! Johannesburg airort is notorious for things being stolen out of your luggage and unfortunately we were victims this time! Our five bags that were in the baggage compartment all night were fine but when we checked in for our flight in the morning they made us check John's carry on that had all the electronics in it (specifically so they would not be accessible to anyone as that is the type of thing that is usually stolen). We anticipated this happening but thought they would take it at the gate but instead they took it at check in! In retrospect we should have rearranged things at that point but we just didn't think through it all as it was happening! We are thankful because it could have been much worse and of all the electronics in that bag it was the one we use the least but it is still maddening!! We also knew we were back in Malawi when we arrived with no one to pick us up! Our friend, Beth, had planned to do it but had something come up so made arrangments with John's office to send a driver but somehow it didn't happen! It was minor as we called and they sent someone immediately but was still a good reminder that things don't function on the same schedule here!
On the plus side, there were no problems on the compound while we were gone and the rains have started early so things are already green! We really are glad to be back!

1 comment:

Christina Tarabochia said...

Hello from your long-lost MK mudpie-making friend!

Dad (John Ashcraft) forwarded the mission morsels and I got to read all about your family getting together. How fun to see pics of all of you! You still look so similar.

I would love to keep in contact. Come visit me at my blog ...

Mom and I are on the brink of breaking into the Christian fiction market and would love for you to sign up for our infrequent, humorous newletters. Just go to www.ashberrylane.net to subscribe. There are pics of my fam on there also.

I can't remember the last time we saw each other but I do remember the favorite toy of yours I wished I'd had. We played it up in the attic--I think--and you had Strawberry Shortcake dolls that were scented. Of course, most of the time you were out shooting lizards with my brother, Mark!

I remember taking Beau to the zoo the last time I visited, back in 1996. :-) He was just a kid!